First off, if you haven’t experienced the beauty that is the Instant Pot yet, then I suggest you go order one right now. It’s okay, I’ll wait. (This is the one I have and I got it on sale on Amazon for under $60!)
With the Instant Pot this meal is seriously the easiest thing ever, and a far cry from the hours my mom spends slaving over the stove to make a pot of one of her famous soups. Her chicken tortilla soup is actually my inspiration for developing the recipe for this soup. I wanted to recreate an easy, fast version of it, that wouldn’t take hours to make!
And yes, I think I’ve succeeded. This soup tastes almost exactly like hers (better even?) and aside from sautéeing the onions for 2 minutes, you just dump the rest of the ingredients in the pot and go. That’s it.
I also should mention that I prefer my soups a little thicker and stew-like. Thin, brothy soups tend to not really fill me up, and I feel like they’re always just laden with salty, high sodium broth. I like my soups to actually have some substance! And so I try to make them chock full of healthy, nutritious ingredients and a lower sodium content.
BUT, if you want to make this soup a bit soupier, I would just add an additional cup of chicken broth to the pot before cooking.
So keep reading below for my super quick & easy instant pot chicken tortilla soup recipe!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Makes 3-4 servings
- 1 breast chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can Black Beans
- 2 cups frozen fiesta corn (or any frozen corn)
- 1 can diced & fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional, I omit the salt since I hate salty soups)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 small corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- Sliced avocado
- Slice of fresh lime
- Crispy tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- Turn Instant Pot to ‘Sauté’ setting and allow the pot to fully heat up. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to bottom of pot and add chopped onions and carrots. Sauté until onions are translucent and then add garlic.
- Add all remaining ingredients (including raw chicken breast!) to the Instant Pot and give it a good stir to combine.
- Cover the pot, make sure your steam release is closed, and cook using the ‘Soup’ setting on high pressure. Manually set the time for 25 minutes.
- Once it’s finished let the pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes (this allows the chicken to become more tender). Then, remove the chicken breast from the pot, shred it on a separate plate, and add the shredded chicken back into the pot.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite toppings!
PRO TIP* Do not skip the tortillas in the soup, as this is what give the soup some thickness. That is, unless you’re on a very strict diet, and in that case, I’m sure the soup would be pretty delish without them too.