shop my plates & kitchen decor:
One of my favorite go-to salads to make during the week is a simple beet salad with goat cheese and pistachios. It’s super easy, yet very nutritious, tasty, and filling! The earthy flavor of the beets paired with the soft, creamy goat cheese and the salty, crunchy pistachios is a taste bud’s dream.
How to Cook Beets
There are a few ways you can cook beets. You can roast them in the oven or boil them on the stove in a pot of water, however, this can take a couple of hours, depending upon how large the beets are.
So, I like to use my Instant Pot to cook beets! Just pop them on the rack with a cup of water, set the timer for 28 minutes and let it pressurize. When it’s done cooking you’ll have soft, tender beets that are ready to go. Click here to get the Instant Pot for the best price.
Do I Have to Peel Beets Before Cooking?
The answer to this is: No!
You do not have to peel beets before roasting, boiling, or cooking them. If you use the boiling water method or the Instant Pot method above, the skins should easily peel off just by rubbing them under cool running water and using your hands.
What Foods Pair Well with Beets?
Well, goat cheese and pistachios, obviously! 🙂 But in terms of other foods, I usually serve this salad over a bed of arugula, and/or topped with a grilled chicken breast, and/or served alongside a piece of crusty bread or naan.
And if you don’t love goat cheese, a beet salad with feta cheese is also a great idea!
Simple Beet Salad with Goat Cheese & Pistachios Recipe
The amount of the following ingredients will vary due to the size of the beets being used. So use these measurements as a starting point and adjust according to your tastes.
- 3-5 Large Beets, unpeeled but rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar (or more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. Goat cheese (or more to taste)
- 1/4 Cup Pistachios, roughly chopped (or more to taste)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Cook your beets until tender, using one of the methods above. While running the beets under cold water, gently rub your hands over the skin to peel the beets.
- Refrigerate the beets until cooled or place in an ice bath before cutting.
- Cut the ends off the beets, then dice into large sections (or however small you’d like them – I prefer big chunks)
- Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, rice vinegar, oregano, and salt + pepper (If you want to save some of this salad for later, I recommend keeping this bowl separate – without the cheese and nuts added. But if you’re planning on serving this all at once, then you can add the cheese and nuts in the next step)
- Crumble the goat cheese over the beets and very carefully fold it in. Do not overmix or the salad will turn a creamy hot pink color!
- Roughly chop the pistachios and sprinkle them atop the beet salad
You can serve this beet salad atop a bed of arugula greens, but it’s also delicious all by itself. Pairing it with a protein such as some sliced grilled chicken is also a great idea.
And if you’re a soup & salad kinda person, check out this recipe for my favorite Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. A fan favorite for lunch or dinner!
What recipes should I post next? Leave me a comment below!